England and Wales is widely considered to be the jurisdiction of choice for the resolution of high value cross-border disputes. According to the Ministry of Justice, since 2010 around 80% of all cases in the Commercial Court involve at least one foreign party. London in particular has become a popular jurisdiction for foreign litigants.
We advise UK and international companies and individuals on all aspects of cross-border disputes and litigation. We act for a number of clients engaged in commercial disputes with an international element.
Recent and current cases include
- Acting for a Turkish distributor in two related actions in both the High Court and Court of Appeal, particularly advising in respect of international enforcement.
- Acting for an international financial services provider looking to enforce a foreign judgment in England and advising in respect of the enforcement of an English judgment in European jurisdictions.
- Acting for a UK company to prevent “passing off” by an American company attempting to use the same trading name.
- Acting for a Dutch manufacturer in a dispute with a Spanish company arising from a sale and development agreement related to the production and supply of electric generators.
- Acting for an offshore company in a claim against a professional trustee company.
- Acting for a commercial agent whose principal had been moving orders between jurisdictions to avoid commission.
- Recovering funds in the UK on behalf of several international clients, including a law firm in South Africa and a trustee in bankruptcy located in Belgium.
- Jurisdictional challenges and conflict of laws
- Exclusive jurisdiction clauses
- Brussels regulations
- Common law rules
- Bringing claims subject to English law in foreign jurisdictions
- International recovery of assets
- Worldwide freezing injunctions and search orders
- Obtaining evidence from overseas jurisdictions
- Enforcement of foreign judgments in the UK
- Enforcement of English judgments abroad
- International ADR