Copyright is an automatic intellectual property right which prevents the unauthorised copying of “original” creative expression. The commercial value of copyright lies in the exclusive right of the author or owner to reproduce the work and license others to do so.
Protection in the United Kingdom is governed by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and extends to literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works, sound recordings, films or broadcasts and the typographical arrangement of published editions.which conform with certain formalities and requirements.
International copyright protection has been harmonised in over 170 signatory countries by the adoption of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
We advise companies and individuals on all aspects of copyright protection and enforcement.
- Copyright law in the United Kingdom
- International protection of copyright
- Duration and ownership
- Transfer and assignment of intellectual property rights
- Copyright licences
- Permitted acts in relation to copyright
- Primary and secondary infringement of copyright
- Intellectual property issues relating to employees, contractors, sub-contractors and freelance consultants
- Brand management