Nicholas Drukker | David Wheeler | Charles Burrell | Charles Goldblatt | Edward Ng-Cordell
+44 (0)20 7353 1770 | T
David is a partner of the firm. He is a commercial litigation lawyer with particular experience in the area of commercial fraud and recoveries.
David started his legal career with the Crown Prosecution Service before joining the initial team which set up the Serious Fraud Office where he assisted in multinational investigations including Guinness, BCCI, Polly Peck, DeLorean and County Natwest. Moving to the civil law, his practice includes
- Advising clients who have been defrauded by trusted advisers
- Asset recovery; and
- Commercial dispute resolution for both claimant and defendants.
David has acted in cases involving factoring, contract disputes, cheque fraud, institutional grievance and disciplinary procedures, passing off, property disputes, misrepresentation, insolvency and bankruptcy. He has appeared in the High Court, Court of Appeal, County Courts, and the Technology and Construction Court. He has also acted in numerous Mediations and Arbitrations.
Recent and current cases include
- Advising the Insolvency Practitioner Regulator on debt collection with relation to fraudulent practitioners.
- Defending clients from liability imposed by oppressive invoice factoring agreements.
- Defending a manufacturer in a distribution contract dispute.
- Advising a distribution company in respect of a systematic scheme to produce industrial numbers of fraudulent cheques by its financial director.
- Acting to exonerate a distinguished academic against misconceived allegations of professional misconduct.
- Advising in relation to passing off and intellectual property infringement and other property disputes.
- Defending a dealer in Vintage motorcycles against an allegation of conversion.
- Advising company directors on insolvency issues.
- Obtaining financial recoveries for commercial clients including a law firm in South Africa and a Trustee in Bankruptcy located in Belgium.
- Assisting clients to set aside judgments and other Court Orders which were wrongfully obtained.
- Advising on the effect of Deeds of Guarantee and Contractual Indemnities against institutional lenders.
- Leading claims against a collection of 21 companies involved in property fraud committed by a dishonest accountant, which resulted in recovery over 100 stolen properties valued at over £32m.
- Recovering assets on behalf of victims of fraudulent schemes including obtaining Charging Orders and Orders for Sale.
- Enforcing foreign Judgments.
- Advising on and obtaining restoration of companies struck off the Register to allow the recovery and onward transfer of assets which would had been lost due to companies being dissolved.
- Advising a Dutch company in an international arbitration with a Spanish company in dispute about the production and supply of electric generators.
- Representing a Dutch shipping company in relation to the employment law aspects of their purchase of an English company.
- Defending contractual indemnities against institutional lenders.