Nicholas Drukker | David Wheeler | Charles Burrell | Charles Goldblatt | Edward Ng-Cordell
+44 (0)20 7353 1770 | T
David is a partner of the firm. He is a commercial litigation lawyer with particular experience in the area of commercial fraud and recoveries.
David started his legal career with the Crown Prosecution Service on the day it went live working in the group that dealt with the busy central london Magistrates court at Horseferry Road. He moved to the Bow Street group before joining the initial team which set up the Serious Fraud Office where he assisted in multinational investigations including Guinness, BCCI, Polly Peck, DeLorean and County Natwest. After deciding to take the forensic skills learned in complex criminal cases to the civil law, his practice includes:
- Advising clients who have been defrauded by trusted advisers
- Asset recovery; and
- Commercial dispute resolution for both claimant and defendants.
- Advising clients with a view to the prevention of litigation and where possible to resolve matters quickly and effectively through the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution
David has acted in cases involving factoring, contract disputes, cheque fraud, institutional grievance and disciplinary procedures, passing off, property disputes, misrepresentation, insolvency and bankruptcy. He has appeared as solicitor in the Court of Appeal, High Court, Technology and Construction Court (as it then was), and the County Court. He has also acted in numerous Mediations and Arbitrations.
Recent and current cases include
- Advising Insolvency Practitioner Bond holders on debt collection with relation to fraudulent practitioners.
- Defending clients from liability imposed by oppressive invoice factoring agreements.
- Defending an international manufacturer in a distribution contract dispute.
- Advising a UK distribution company in respect of a systematic scheme to produce industrial numbers of fraudulent cheques by its financial director.
- Acting to exonerate a distinguished academic against misconceived allegations of professional misconduct.
- Defending a dealer in Vintage motorcycles against an allegation of conversion and fraud.
- Advising company directors on insolvency and bankruptcy issues.
- Obtaining financial recoveries for commercial clients including a law firm in South Africa and a Trustee in Bankruptcy located in Belgium.
- Assisting clients to set aside judgments and other Court Orders which were wrongfully obtained.
- Advising on the effect of Deeds of Guarantee and Contractual Indemnities against institutional lenders.
- Acting for the lead claimants in a property fraud committed by a dishonest accountant, which resulted in recovery over 100 stolen properties valued at over £32m and which eventually involved 21 parties.
- Recovering assets on behalf of victims of fraudulent schemes including obtaining Charging Orders and Orders for Sale.
- Enforcing foreign Judgments.
- Advising on and obtaining restoration of companies struck off the Register to allow the recovery and onward transfer of assets which would had been lost due to companies being dissolved.
- Advising a Dutch company in an international arbitration with a Spanish company in dispute about the production and supply of electric generators.
- Representing a Dutch shipping company in relation to the employment and commercial law aspects of their purchase of an English company.
- Successfully acting for a UK company in their defence of allegations of trademark infringement, passing off and breach of fiduciary duty.